20 Most Anticipated Films of 2015

1) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
Writer/director Joss Whedon blew my mind with the first Avengers film so I am expecting to be equally amazed with the sequel. The main cast including Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans are returning, as well as new faces including Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and James Spader as Ultron.

2) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
If you are not excited about the new Star Wars film, I do not want to talk to you. The sneak-peak trailer is enticing, some of the cast from the original trilogy are back and there are new cast-members including Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver. Basically, geeks everywhere are rejoicing. Please do not disappoint us, Disney.



3) Jurassic World
I am a little bit obsessed with dinosaurs and Jurassic Park remains one of the best films I have ever seen visually and in terms of its narrative. The trailer for this reboot has intrigued me and Chris Pratt has been on a roll lately so I am thrilled to see this film.

4) Pan
Garrett Hedlund and Hugh Jackman are two of my favourite actors so it should be great to see them together in this Peter Pan story. The trailer is captivating and while director Joe Wright can hit-and-miss at times (everything he has done with Keira Knightley has been dreadful, but Hanna was awesome) I am hoping to find enjoyment in this tale.



5) Terminator: Genisys
Do we need another Terminator film? Not really. Will we all flock to see this film anyway? Yes, probably. Arnie is back and this time the cast also includes Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke. Director Alan Taylor has made a successful leap from television to film (Game of Thrones to Thor: The Dark World) so the film should be in decent hands.

6) Ant-Man
So much hype and controversy surrounding this film already after a change in directors, but with Paul Rudd in the lead you can expect to be thoroughly entertained. It will be interesting to see how closely it follows the comics.



7) The Man From UNCLE
I am a massive fan of Henry Cavill so I will see anything he is in. Director Guy Ritchie has not produced anything since 2011's Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows but he has assembled a fine cast including Armie Hammer and Hugh Grant. This should be a funny action adventure.

8) Entourage
I loved the television show. Ari Gold, played by Jeremy Piven, is one of the most entertaining characters we have ever seen on television. The trailer for the film did not excite me when it was released recently, but I still hope the story and characters can make a successful transition from television to film.



9) Mad Max: Fury Road
It is great to see this character and story given a new life. I expect Tom Hardy to be his usual brilliant self in this latest instalment. This post-apocalyptic franchise is clearly a passion project for director George Miller.

10) Insurgent
The Divergent series is probably my favourite of all the young adult novels that have become so popular in the past decade. I could not put the books down and the first film was a great start. I have high hopes for the sequel.



11) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II
I loved the books but the last film certainly felt like it was cut short so part two should be a fitting conclusion to the heroic tale.

12) Magic Mike XXL
Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer will probably spend most of the film stripping. What more do we need?

13) Inherent Vice
This film, which is based on a novel, is getting a lot of buzz in the United States. It stars Joaquin Phoenix and Josh Brolin.

14) The Hateful Eight
Quentin Tarantino. That is the only incentive I need. There was a lot of controversy about a leaked script but that is in the past now. I try to know as little as possible about a Tarantino film before I see it. All I know is it is a western about bounty hunters and that is all I need to know for now.

15) Fifty Shades of Grey
I read the books and did not enjoy them – it was more of an exercise is perseverance to finish the trilogy – but there is so much hype surrounding the film, I cannot help but be curious.



16) The Longest Ride
Readers of my blog should know by now that I am a Nicholas Sparks fan and this novel was so sweet. I am hopeful that this film adaptation will be good, with Scott Eastwood in the lead role.

17) Spectre
Social media almost broke down when details about the latest James Bond film were announced. The previous instalment was very impressive, so I expect the same of this one. Director Sam Mendes and leading man Daniel Craig are back, along with new cast-members including Christoph Waltz and Ralph Fiennes.

18) Chappie
Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver star in this Neill Blomkamp film about robots. Looks action-packed.

19) Tomorrowland
It is science fiction and it has George Clooney in it. I barely know much more about it, but it does not even matter.

20) In The Heart of the Sea
Ron Howard has directed this film starring Chris Hemsworth so soon after working with him on Rush. This looks like it will be a visual spectacle. 


What films are you looking forward to seeing in 2015?

Comments